During winter months, Utahns move many activities indoors to avoid snow, ice, and freezing temperatures.…
Radon is a radioactive gas that cannot be seen, tasted or smelled. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United Stated. For non smokers, it is actually the number one cause of lung cancer. Agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), World Health Organization (WHO) have strong stances about radon. There was also a Surgeon Generals Radon Warning released in January of 2005.
US Surgeon Generals Radon Warning
“…breathing it over prolonged periods can present a significant health risk to families all over the country. It’s important to know that this threat is completely preventable. Radon can be detected with a simple test and fixed through well-established venting techniques.”
You can read the entire press release here. It goes on to state that the EPA, who has researched radon extensively, notes that radon comes from the breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water and gets into the air you breathe. It finds its way into homes through cracks and holes in the foundation, construction joints, and plumbing fixtures.
The EPA also has voiced firm recommendations that every home should be tested for radon gas.
Testing For Radon Gas
Testing your home for radon is simple. If you live in Utah, you can actually request a free test kit by filling out the form on this page or by calling our radon experts at 801-871-0715. It takes two full days of the test open in your home to get an accurate reading. After that you will send it to our lab and we will contact you with results in just a few days.
If the radon levels in your home are above the EPA’s or WHO’s recommended action levels, a mitigation system may be recommended. These are a system of pipes that go from the basement through the house and vent the radon up above the roof line. Radon mitigation systems are installed quickly and affordably.
As always, the first step is testing your home. Contact us today and we’ll get you on the path to a home safe from radon.